Monday, November 12, 2007

The dog is going to drive us to bankruptcy!

Today I picked up our old retriever, Maxine, from the vet. She got very sick last week. I thought we were going to lose her. Turns out, she somehow got hold of something that wasn't good for her, and she may not be out of the woods yet. She's been a good dog, and we all love her, so there was no question that we would take her in to get treatment.

What I didn't know was what it would cost. I'm not going to give you the actual amount. But let's just say that the kids will be going to state university. Maybe even community college.

It made me wonder: would I have agreed to the treatment if I had known the cost? Is it even right to spend so much on an animal? I'm not sure. Fortunately, I didn't have to make that choice, because the vet didn't give me any clue about the cost until he handed me the bill. When I regained consciousness, all I could do was pay...

2 comments:

Michelle said...

A cat can get a sonogram for about $12.00 in Ukraine...with the cost of travel and all, it may still be cheaper......

Cap said...

A guy in my office had 2 golden retrievers and he almost spent more than I spent for my car to get his 13 or 14-year old (think that was the age) a complete blood transfusion. Guess the dog would have had to change its name to "Keith Richards' at that point!