Friday, March 21, 2008

Stick to the important stuff...

TMZ is a web site that focuses on celebrity gossip. I never look at it, because I have better things to do with my time than wonder about the lives of pampered, overpaid, self-important people. But they ran a story yesterday where they ripped some guy named Andy Baldwin (who I think was on a reality TV show).

The activity that they found so objectionable? He was on a Navy mission to find remains of an airplane that went down during World War 2. It seems the US military spends about $52 million each year looking for missing military personnel. They call this search "such BS" and a "ridiculous waste."

Think about it: each year, we spend about 18 cents per citizen to find out what happened to men and women who gave their lives to protect our freedoms. And TMZ thinks this is a waste of time.
TMZ, of course, knows what's important. I mean, when you spend your life doing something really vital to society, like taking pictures of Paris Hilton, you have a good handle on what matters in life. These military searches provide answers for families who wonder, sometimes for decades, what happened to their loved ones. That certainly isn't as important as knowing what Britney Spears is doing.

I do have one word of advice for TMZ: stick to videos of drunken, drug-addled losers. Leave the righteous indignation to someone else...


Thanks, Hot Air!

1 comment:

Timon said...

my journalism gurus and I considered getting a job out of school with TMZ as some bizarre joke on our college.... :)