Saturday, July 19, 2008

Mike Farris has taken over my iPod...

I should probably admit that I don't listen to a lot of modern Christian music. That makes me sad, because I love music, and great music moves me like nothing else. But a lot of what passes for Christian music, especially worship music, bores me. The lyrics are shallow and man-centered, the music is flat-out boring (like bad James Taylor clones), and the singers (especially the men) sound like wimpy wallflowers. Not exactly inspiring stuff.

But in the last few weeks, I've listened to one album about 52,000 times. It's called Salvation in Lights, by a guy called Mike Farris. He signs straight from the gut, like what he's singing means something to him, and should mean something to you, too. And he picked a group of old spirituals, along with some new songs, that overflow with hope, grace, redemption, and joy.

I've got a clip of one of the songs, but this doesn't do the album justice. Go get these songs right now! If you don't absolutely love them, please check your pulse. Your heart may have stopped...



No comments: