Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Am I bitter toward the church?

As some of you know, I left a traditional church pastorate a number of months ago. It was totally the right thing to do, because God is calling us in a different direction. One of the reasons I left was because I see how often "church" actually keeps people from experiencing God's presence in their lives.

I don't want to go into the details of it here, because I've talked about it a little before. (Like here.) But one thing I do know, I don't want to be a bitter burn-out. It's too easy to see the weaknesses in an institution, and then blame the people in the institution for everything that's wrong. But the fact is, the majority of traditional churches are pastored by good men and women who love God and want to serve Him. They really want to see people reached and God glorified.

I still see traditional church structures as fatally flawed. And, I have a feeling I'll have more to say about this in future posts. But, I just wonder if anyone else is thinking about how to keep from developing bitter feelings when traditional church has shown itself to be lacking...

No comments: