Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Leaving a legacy of forgiveness...

I was reading through Psalm 51 today. It's the one David wrote after Nathan had confronted him about sleeping with Bathsheba and killing her husband. There's a sentence there, "I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me." I tend to live out that sentence in a very unhealthy way. I'm way too conscious of my own sins and faults. I tend to stay right there, focused on what I do that's wrong or doesn't measure up. Of course, in the psalm, David goes on to experience God's love and forgiveness. I don't always get to that place, even though I know I'm forgiven.

I wonder about how this affects my parenting. I catch my kids doing something wrong. Do I look just to punish? Or do I try to redeem something out of the situation? I know I need to correct bad behavior, but is that enough? My kids need to see forgiveness and restoration as the natural correction for the wrong that we do. Otherwise, they'll learn to wallow in the guilt of their wrong actions, and never experience the sweetness of God's grace.

I think it's true that kids get their concept of God from their parents. I want them to see God as a loving Father who doesn't let sin go unpunished, but who is quick and willing to forgive and restore fellowship with us.

No comments: