Monday, May 7, 2007

True confessions of a sick father...

I have to make a confession: I am a bad parent. At least, I'm a bad parent when I am sick. Actually, I'm pretty much a bad person when I'm sick. Irritable? You bet! Easily angered? Absolutely! Ready to lash out at anyone who annoys me? No doubt!

What a joy I am for the kids and the Mighty Mrs. J!

What that means is that everybody has been tiptoeing around me for the last couple of weeks. And, when the kids did something terrible, like play loudly, or talk, or you know, act like children, I would call them down. I'd growl lovely parental encouragements, like, What are you doing?!? Do you know what you're doing??? This has to STOP!!! Stop NOW I tell you!!!

Mostly, the kids just stare at me. It's really hard for children to stop acting like children.

As you can probably guess, I've spent a lot of the last few weeks apologizing to my kids. After my anger died down, I would realize what a jerk I was. Then I'd go beg forgiveness. Because my kids are wonderful, they always forgave their cranky, irritated dad.

I've spent a lot of time the last few days snuggling up my kids. I'm trying to remind them that their dad isn't always a growling, crabby old bear. I also hope they learn something I need to remember: the 2 most powerful words in the English language are "I'm sorry."

No comments: