Saturday, September 27, 2008

WWJL: What Would Jesus Like?

I want to pass along a great blog post by Bob Cleveland over at Eagles' Rest. He made me think of something really profound that I had never considered. Namely, that we don't know a thing about the things Jesus liked. What was His favorite food? His favorite color? His favorite psalm? We have no clue.

The conclusion Bob draws is that we don't know these things because in Jesus' life, those things weren't important. His life was dedicated to serving others, not making sure that He got the things He liked.

There are a bunch of applications here. As Bob points out, Christians break fellowship over all kinds of things. If we were all dedicated to living like Jesus, most of those splits would never happen. Would Jesus break fellowship over what kind of music gets played in church, or when the rapture was going to happen? I doubt it.

Of course, if it's too hard to live like Jesus, you all could just try to do everything the way I like it. Then I would just tell you what you need to know, like what kind of music to play in church, and when the rapture will occur...

(In case you're wondering, the last paragraph was sarcasm. Except the music. It's awesome...)

3 comments:

Heidi W said...

I can't take the music! That's it... I'm taking my computer and going home.

:)

Joel Brueseke said...

So true... There are so many little, insignificant things that are fought about that really have nothing to do with Christ and our life in Him, and it's sad that it divides people when there's plenty we can be doing to serve one another in love.

As for the video... It's a pretty popular one! Almost 700,000 views since it was posted 25 days ago! ;)

Richard J said...

Heidi--Sorry! I will try to refrain from linking to that video in the future. I can't promise anything though...

Joel--I was thinking more about it. Jesus did break off communication with people. Namely the Pharisees, because they were trying to deny people access to the God who loved them.

Today, we do the same thing. Except we break fellowship over more important things, like what color the carpet in the sanctuary is going to be.

I do love that song. Now even my kids sing it! I have you to thank (or blame)...